Sunday, September 12, 2010

Home again, home again jiggedy jig!

As the old saying goes: "some things never change."

My flight from Edmonton to Halifax was scheduled to land at 9:40 am. The change-over in Toronto was delayed by 20 minutes so I landed at 10:00 am, almost on the dot. My brother had so graciously dedicated himself to picking me up after I told him I booked my flight. I hopped off the plane, as energetically as I could after flying all night and getting minimal amounts of quality sleep. I headed down the escalator, anxiously scanning the area for my brothers face. Nothing. I took a stroll to the baggage carousel. Nothing. Walked around the arrivals area. Nothing. Waited for my bags. Got my bags. Still didn't find my brother. Not exactly the reception I was hoping for. How anticlimactic.

Since I am currently sans cell phone, I lugged my 40 pound expedition pack, 45 pound suitcase, carry-on bag and purse to the nearest pay phone and made a collect call. The robotic voice said, "Would you be willing to accept a collect call from (insert my voice here) 'Allie'? For yes press one, for no press two, or say 'yes' or 'no'." Thankfully, the answer was yes.

I then learned that, as I suspected from the late-night Facebook post my brother left on my wall, he had been drinking the night before and he had left "not too long ago". What time did he leave? 9:30 am. Ten minutes before my scheduled arrival time. Great. All I can say is, thank God for wireless internet because without a cell phone I had nothing to occupy my time for the next hour and fifteen minutes otherwise. Also, luckily for me, my trusty friend Lisa in NYC was on chat, who I can always depend on for a solid, hilarity-filled chat sesh. Her cynicism confirmed my suspicions that my brother was indeed a jerk and her and dry humour helped to lift my spirits. Three cheers for Lisa! Finally, 11:15 am rolled around and so did my brother. "I'm sorry, I'm a jerk." Yes, yes you are. You are also a jerk who is buying me Tim Hortons. Count it!

I arrived in New Glasgow to my mom waiting on the back step, just as I predicted: postured to pounce on me like a jungle cat on its prey. Admittedly, hugs and cuddles followed - after I made my necessary "I'm safe" phone calls to a couple of concerned citizens.

My time has essentially been super hectic and fun-filled since. I hung out with my mom, laid down for a bit, got a slice of pepperoni Acropole pizza (THE BEST!), spent the night in my university town for a friends' birthday party, went adventuring with my brother and brother from another mother, took my mom to the Farmer's Market and for groceries, and went for tea with my dear friend Emma. It's great catching up with friends and knowing that no matter how long it's been since you last spoke, your friendship is strong enough that the minute you're back together it's like you've never been apart (aside from the excessive amounts of detail-sharing!). I expect a lot more of that to come with several more engagements arranged for this week.

For now, I have a very important engagement with my bed. Still jet-jagged. Still haven't taken the nap I had planned on 36 hours ago... and then again 6 hours ago.

Adventures in the back country with the bros = having a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment