Sunday, January 16, 2011

American Thanksgiving/taking

(Preface:  I realize I'm extremely late in posting this.  My apologies for my negligence.)

I find it ironic that the day after most American's traditionally give thanks for everything in their lives - the day they express outwardly their gratitude for all of the things they are already blessed with - is the most intense,  greedy, consumerist, cut-throat shopping day of the year.

But that's exactly how it happens.

The third Thursday in November is Thanksgiving in America.  This year, my dad, my step-mom, my usual called-upon-travel-comrade, and I all headed to my dad's and Lorraine's friends place.  It was to be a not-so-traditional Thanksgiving, with a hearty mixture of southern and Italian flare.

Fourteen of us were there, two tables long, ranging from two years old to probably late 60's.  Some of us had just met, but we were all family together.

The day began early with shrimp dip, cream cheese and jelly dip, and tons of crackers.  Most people knew of me for longer than I knew them, or even knew of them.  Dad had told them lots of me, even before we had our own reunion.  That was really nice to know.  Most of them had anticipated meeting me one day.  That was really nice, too.

The cornucopia of foods served at dinner included a variety of Italian home made macaroni, turkey, ham that had been smoked for hours overnight, mashed potatoes, salad, sweet potatoes, roasted vegetables, breads and so much more.  We all joined to give thanks and then dove into our meals without restraint.  One plate, two plates later, appetizers, entrées, salads, and desserts later.

Though the meal and the company were both phenomenal, we had to give our thanks and head out.  I had a time-sensitive project that needed attending to.

We finished up our dealings a little earlier than anticipated and decided to head to Downtown Disney to see what was up and to pick up a little "thank you" gift for my Dad.  After checking out the sights, we decided to head home.  On the way home, we came across the most insane traffic I've ever seen.  It was almost midnight and the exit ramp from the highway was backed all the way up onto the highway itself.  The ramp lead to an outlet mall that opened at midnight for Black Friday shopping insanity.  Never was I more relieved to not be a shopper than I was in that moment.  I felt anxiety from just looking at the traffic, never mind actually being in the stores and I can only suspect that people who shop on Black Friday at midnight are nothing short of clinically insane.

Up next: Police Dealings of Broward County/the Florida loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment