Sunday, June 23, 2013

You can have your butterflies. I have fireflies.

A little tale: I remember going to a family friend's cabin when I was around three years old. It was the first time I'd ever seen fireflies. I called them lightning bugs. I remember watching them blinking on and off, filled with a strange and simple kind of excitement and awe.

Twenty years passed.

I didn't see another lightning bug again until I went to Bonnaroo in 2010. The same feeling came back to me as if I was still a little girl, watching from inside the cabin.

Now, almost every night when I walk through my neighborhood, I see lightning bugs. I still feel the magic I did when I was three, now that I'm almost 27 (one more week!).

It's strange how such a simple thing can bring one immediately back to "the now."

I am so grateful for my life. I'm not religious, but I'm convinced that I'm blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment